Weekend in Portland
August 19, 2010 § Leave a comment
Recently, we headed up to Portland for the weekend and completely fell in love with this “foodie” city. We were impressed by the food culture, the attention paid to local foods, organic farmers and seasonal flavors. The trip was planned around an Outstanding in the Field dinner we attended at Cameron Winery, in beautiful Dundee Oregon. The evening was magical, sitting at a table with 150 other guests in a hazelnut grove, tasting local veggie’s and game, and learning about the local farmers, wine makers, artisans, cheese makers and chocolatiers that put the meal together. The meal was served family style. We sampled seasonal apricots and local prosciutto, wild smoked salmon and fennel, and spit fired lamb with cherry tomatoes and zuchinni. Next year we are planning to attend one of the dinners at the beach!
A few of our favorite stops in Portland over the weekend…
1. Ace Hotel – unpretentious, chill, fun and affordable. Stumptown coffee is attached to one side, awesome coffee. The other side has Clyde Common, a great restaurant for lunch or dinner.
2. Pok Pok – seasonal Thai food with a local, laid-back feel.
3. Farmers Market @ the University
4. Brewery tour – Favorite part of the trip! Rent bikes and venture around to some of Portland’s great Breweries. Some of our favorites included Lucky Labrador (where we had an interesting ginger beer), BridgePort Brewing Co., and New Old Lompoc (go for the tasting flight)!
5. Beast – 2 seatings per night, pre fix menu that will leave you extremely satisfied. Every course was outstanding, it was a really fun experience, felt like we were at someones home.
6. Gravy – great brunch spot… all american style breakfast, go hungry…..huge portions.
We also got some great tips from 101 Cookbooks, be sure to check it out before you go.